What does the Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams (at https://www.scrum.org/resources/kanban-guide-scrum-teams) say about work in progress limits?
The Kanban Method or Kanban for short, provides a lens through which leaders can ensure that the organisation is working on the most important work and know what to improve that leads to improved value flow across the value stream.
This is why leaders need to learn the kanban method, Kanban Method enables you to answer the following questions and gain the insight you need to make better decisions.
Kanban is not about boards and post-its on a wall, Kanban Method allows you to answer the following questions:
- How are we serving the customer?
- Are we working on the most important work item?
- Where should we focus the improvements to improve our organisational value flow?
- Do we know when we can deliver a given type of work?
- Do we know how many you can deliver?
"Medicine had been 'successfully’ practised without the knowledge of germs. In a pre-germ theory paradigm, some patients got better, some got worse and some stayed the same; in each case, some rationale could be used to explain the outcome …” (1) (2)
Doctors practised what was taught
Doctors explained what they observed through practice using models that they learnt: Bad air, Contact, Generated by the body.
Follow these five steps to improve your system of work
1 Understand the end to end system of the value flow to the customer
- Study how the flow of work and visualise your work and map the flow
- Run the map, watch work items flow through the map
- Limit the number of tokens
2 Understand the system capabilities
- Types of work
- System lead time for fulfilling each type of work
- Arrival rate for each type of work
- Departure rate for each type of work
- Failure demand for each type of work, demand caused by failure to do something or to do something right for the customer – John Seddon
3 Understand your system variability
- For each type of work, measure
- Common cause variation, act on the system to change the common cause variation
- Assignable cause variation, act on the cause to remove assignable cause variation
4 Measure the flow efficiency for each type of work
- Measure the flow of each major knowledge discovery step
5 Purposeful change
- understand the root causes of the failure demand and tackle them
- Use the arrival, departure rate and the flow efficiency to target your improvement efforts and achieve better results for your investment
- Evolve your system of work and improve your system of work
Our Kanban Management Professional course is coming up this May between the 14th-17th of May. Nader Talai will take you through Systems Thinking Approach to Implementing Kanban Lean-Kanban, Approach to Change Management and much more.
This course is relevant to everyone involved in services delivery and management. Such as:
- Delivery Managers
- Project Managers
- Product Managers
- Product Designers
- Software Product Developers
- Delivery team members (Test specialist, Business Analysts, Administrators)
Some of our old attendees left some comments about the previous courses, you can see them here below.